Sunday, August 24, 2008

Playing with Domino 8.5 server

So, a lazy Saturday night in front of the TV, watching the Olympics. What is a geek girl to do? Why set up and test a new server of course.

I've been wanting to have a play with X-pages, so tonight I installed a Domino 8.5 server on my laptop. I had previously had an 8.0.1 server installed for some application testing I did a couple of months ago, so this was an upgrade rather than a full install.

I am running Windows XP and installed the server directly onto the laptop. I know I should find out how to use VMWare and set that up, but I really don't have the time. Also, as I just want to play a bit, not really test out the server it seems too much effort at the moment.

The install went well (although it took an inordinate amount of time I thought). I did have some trouble getting the HTTP server to load (could not open port 80). I found I had to disable my AV software temporarily to get the HTTP server to load. Restarted AV & it all ran happily together.

Although I did this to play with X-Pages, I got distracted by the new iNotes. It looks good, seems pretty fast, and a big improvement. My company is still running 7.0.3 on our edge-facing web server (it is Red-Hat and needs an OS upgrade to go to 8). So then of course I had to check out the iNotes interface on my iPod touch.

After fighting with Windows for some time, I managed to get the iPod to connect wirelessly to my PC, and connect to my Domino server. I think the new interface is nice. Only mail is implemented for now (no calendar or contacts), but I did test attachments - Word, Excel and PDF files all load and display well. I know this is a feature of Safari, not iNotes but it does mean iNotes Ultralight will be a viable means of accessing corporate data. If your CEO has an iPhone, does it really matter if access is on-line or stored on the device? Will he even know the difference?

Just watched the final of the Women's basketball. USA defeated Australia (again). I thought maybe this time the Opals would succeed. Silver is still good.

No comments: