Thursday, September 4, 2008

A new job is in the wind

I have found a new job.

I have been casually looking for a new job for a couple of months now. I have been in my current job for nearly 10 years, and my employers are wonderful people, but I am finding that the amount of travel and the hours involved are just getting too much for me.

I live in Melbourne, Australia, quite close to the CBD and have been driving out to the suburbs for work for many years. And almost all our customers are waaaaaaaay out.

My new job is in town - just 15 minutes from home by public transport. It means that my husband will also have to do all the morning drop-off, but as he is semi-retired now this should work out OK. The work day is slightly shorter - 7.5 hrs instead of 8. So all up I will gain at least an hour a day. This may not sound like much but to a busy working mum it currently sound like luxury.

In addition, my current role has recently involved a much higher proportion of admin support work than ever in the past. The job used to be about 90/10 between dev and admin but has recently been more like 60/40. And the admin work has been support / fix type work rather than infrastructure / planning / upgrade projects. And a lot of the development has been just building something that someone else has spec'ed.

In contrast the new job is all development. I will also be in control of my projects from start to finish - requirements, through to implementation. It is with a very small consulting arm of a mid-sized accounting firm so I will be interested to find out how much interaction my group has with the larger organisation.

Now the hard part is working out my notice for the current employer. I am so ready to move on

No comments: